Map Data is an Active911 feature that allows you to upload placemarkers and documents to your response map. These marker are then visible to you whenever you respond to an alarm.
By tapping or clicking on a marker, you can see a list of documents attached to that marker and optionally download and view them directly from your mobile device. This is especially useful for location specific data, such as pre incident plans.
What to do
In order to add markers and data to your map, you will need to log into your Active911 account.
- From your Active911 account, click the Map Data tab.
- Click Add Location
- Enter a title for your marker. Good titles are things like "Hydrant" or "Pre Fire Plan".
- Enter a description. If you don't know what to type, just enter the address of the marker.
- Enter the latitude and longitude of the marker.
- Select an icon style and color. This is the marker that you will see on your map.
|Note: When you enter the latitude and longitude of the marker, pay special attention to any numbers with a - (minus) sign. If you leave the minus off of the number, you will not see your marker on the map!|
Attaching documents to map data
To the left of all map data points within the "Map Data" tab of your account at active911.com, you can click the + sign to upload documents to that marker. The size limit for each document is 3 MB. The documents that you upload to the markers are stored in cloud storage, ready to be downloaded to your phone as you need them.
|Note: Warning: If you are attaching PDFs to Map Data, be advised that some programs generate corrupted PDFs that will not display properly on iPhones or iPads. If you have problems, please use the PDF checker http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx to see if your PDF is corrupted.|
If there is a large number of map points to be uploaded, the bulk upload process can be used to upload them as a file rather than entering them one by one.
If the file is in a Google Earth (KML) file, it may be uploaded directly. Active911 will try to import all placemarkers from all folders within the KML file.
If the data is in a custom format (such as a spreadsheet) that you want to upload, follow these instructions:
- Download the spreadsheet template (Template)
- Using the template as a guide, refactor your data so it fits in a similar four-column spreadsheet listing a title (required), description (may be blank), and a latitude and longitude. (Please delete the name, description, latitude, longitude row!)
- Save the resulting file as CSV (comma separated values file).
- For OpenOffice:
- File > Save As...
- Set "Save as type:" to "Text CSV"
- "Keep Current Format" when prompted
- Accept defaults, ignore the warning about "Only the active sheet saved"
- For Excel:
- Select "Save As..."
- Select "Other Formats"
- Select "CSV (Comma Delimited)"
- Acknowledge warnings
- Now, in Active911, open the Map Data tab and click the Bulk Upload link.
- Upload the file, selecting an icon type
- You will be shown a preview of the data. If everything looks good, click Save.
|Note: Each time the the bulk upload feature is used, select a single map marker type and color for all the items in that file. If there are multiple marker types (i.e. 1000 hydrants and 1000 note files), split the data into two files that can be uploaded separately. This allows a different color or style of marker to be selected for each one.|
Frequently asked questions
- Can I see Map Data on all devices?
- Map Data only works on Active911 apps and Webview. Cadpage does not support map markers for location reporting or map data.
- Is there a PDF of all the map markers you have in your system?
- Yes there is and you can download it here: File:Icon List.pdf