Android installation instructions
When you install Active911 on your Android phone or tablet, that device will begin receiving pages from Active911 using a technology known as "Google Cloud Messaging". This technology does not use SMS messages.
What to do
- Make sure you have uninstalled any previous version of Active911. DO NOT UNINSTALL Cadpage at this point, especially if you are running an old version of Android, 2.3-2.3.7 (i.e. Gingerbread).
- Go to Google Play on your phone, and search for "Active911". Download and install it.
- In order to connect your phone or tablet with Active911, you will need to log into your Active911 account and add the device under your account's Devices tab. Make sure the Page Type is set to "Active911 for Android".
- You will now see the device listed with an error symbol (). Hold your mouse over this symbol to see the registration code. Write it down.
- Finally, open up Active911 on you mobile device, tap settings, and enter the code you wrote down. Tap OK.
As a final check, go back to your Active911 account and use the test button () to test paging functionality. If everything worked, you will get a page. It is at this point that you should uninstall Cadpage.
Phones running Gingerbread (Android version 2.3-2.3.7)
- Google broke GCM registration for Gingerbread devices and we are pushing them for a fix. We have no timeline from them yet on how long it will take them. Normally Google is pretty fast about fixing things like this, but it has been a while and a lot of developers are upset with Google right now and pushing them very hard to get this fixed fast. You can follow the Google group for this issue here.
- So far, Google has said that users should try a factory reset or clearing the data from the Google Services Framework on their devices.
- If you have already uninstalled Cadpage and Active911 will not connect, the only remaining option at this point is to switch to SMS paging.